Tuesday, July 8, 2008

What is your site about?

What is the central theme of your web site or blog? This ties into the previous post, What are you trying to say? What is the purpose of your web site? Let me give you a personal example.

Over 10 years ago, I worked at an ISP (Internet Service Provider) in Rhinelander, Wisconsin. At the time, one of the new features what we rolled out for our customers was the idea of personal web sites at no extra cost. Something that we heard back from customers almost immediately was that the amount of space we were giving them, 1 megabyte, was too small to do anything in; bear in mind, this was back when a 28.8 bps modem was considered a high-speed connection :)

To make a point, I created my first personal web page, just to demonstrate that yes, you can create something worth reading in that amount of space. Which left me with the question, what to write?

The first rule of writing is, 'Write about what you know.' I actually knew quite a bit about computers, programming, teaching people how to use computers -- but I chose to write about my hobby instead -- clowning. At that time, and to the present day, there were hundreds of web sites promoting individual clowns -- but none talking about the history of clowning, how to be a clown, how to develop your unique clown face, etc. So that's what I decided to write about for my megabyte of space.

And ten years later, it's the most popular clown-related web site on the Internet -- Clown Ministry.

No comments: